Sugar cookies are a nostalgic favorite. This version is our go-to recipe – delicious and made with ingredients that are far better for you than traditional white flour and sugar!
*Remember to avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are we can help – call your nearest Wellness Way Clinic for more information and to get tested.
Total Time: 35-40 minutes Makes: 50-75 cookies depending on the size
– 1/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening or coconut oil spread
– 1 3/4 cup brown rice flour
– 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
– 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
– 1/2 cup raw honey
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
– 1 teaspoon organic vanilla
– 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
– 10 drops of flavored stevia of your choice
1. preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, combine shortening and brown rice flour and beat well.
3. Scrape down sides and add rest of ingredients.
4. Once dough comes together, continue to beat 1 more minute to make it easier to handle. Dough will be very soft – refrigerate for 15 minutes before rolling the dough.
5. Roll out the dough about 1/4″ thickness and cut with cutters.
6. Top with sprinkles and bake. (Alternatively, bake and cool, then frost and decorate.)
7. Bake 7-9 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. Cool on wire racks.
*To make frosting, blend xylitol in blender until powdered. Mix in almond or coconut milk a teaspoons at a time until frosting is consistency. (optional – add a few drops of vanilla or almond extract)