Everybody loves a sloppy joe, but if they are from a can, they are disgusting! They are so easy to make and you don’t need the extra garbage that is in the canned version.
*Remember to avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
Sloppy Joe Recipe
Total Prep Time: 25 minutes Makes: 6-7 servings
Sloppy Joe Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee (optional)
- 2 pounds grass fed organic ground beef
- 1/2 whole large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced or garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cup organic ketchup (or make your own ketchup)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- black pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
Sloppy Joe Directions:
- Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion, and garlic and cook until brown. If using grass fed beef there shouldn’t be much leftover grease.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Worcestershire if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve over gluten free bread. You can get creative and put over veggies, or atop baked sweet potatoes.