Smelling good is important but being nontoxic is even more important. There are so many chemicals in deodorants and personal care products like the ones highlighted in our article. The only way to know what is in your deodorant is to make it yourself. Try this natural deodorant recipe and enjoy peace of mind.
*Remember to avoid your allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your allergies are get them tested soon!
Natural Deodorant Recipe
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup of shea butter or cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon of beeswax
- 3/4 cup arrowroot
- Optional: 10-20 drops essential oils (melaleuca, lemon, lavender, or whatever you think smells good are great options)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Combine coconut oil, butter, and beeswax in a double broiler with 1 inch of water. If you don’t have a double broiler put a metal bowl on top of a sauce pan.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Stir constantly until melted and combine smoothly.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour into over sized muffin tins to make bars. Pro-tip: You can use old deodorant containers but let the mixture cool for 20 minutes first before scooping it in.
- Let harden overnight.