So good with meatballs or even ground beef. This is typically enough gravy for using with 2 lbs of beef. Find the meatball recipe here.
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
Mama Flynn’s Mushroom Gravy
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole onion, chopped
4 tbsp butter alternative (like Melt or Ghee)
16 oz mushrooms sliced
2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Paprika
2 Cups Mushroom Broth or Beef Broth
2 Tbsp Green Banana Flour
2 tsp Tamari or coconut aminos
¼ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp Yacon Syrup
Dash of hot sauce (I used Red’s)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Additional seasoning like parsley or oregano if needed
- Place 4 Tbsp butter alternative in cast iron pan or other large sauce pan on low/medium heat.
- Saute onions for a few minutes and then add the garlic (do not burn the garlic).
- Once onions are translucent, or change color to more of a clear color, add the mushrooms and mix into the melted buttery mixture of onions and garlic. If it is really sizzling, turn the heat down a bit and allow the mushrooms to cook about 4 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Once the Mushrooms have cooked (they will become tender), add the mustard and the paprika and mix to distribute them into the mushroom mixture. Turn the heat to low.
- While the mushrooms are cooking (or you can do it ahead of time so you don’t run the risk of burning the mushroom mixture), in a 2 cup glass pyrex measuring cup, mix together the broth, green banana flour, tamari, lemon juice, yacon syrup and hot sauce with a whisk until well combined.
- Turn the heat back up to medium and add the broth mixture to the pan of mushrooms/onions/garlic and whisk until it becomes thicker. Make sure to get all of the mushroom mixture combined into the gravy and add Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- If you feel it needs more flavor, tweak it with more seasonings or sea salt.
- Once it thickens turn heat down to low and add whatever meat or meatballs, or ground beef you prefer. Stir periodically to distribute the gravy over all the meat.
- Turn off heat and serve.