This is one of Christy’s family favorites – made possible by using things to create a fantastic, never-fail, flavorful chicken. I usually always use leg quarters, but as long as the skin is still on, you could probably do this with just thighs as well – just watch them at the end so they don’t burn.
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
Crispy Leg Quarters/Thighs
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken leg quarters (or just skin on thighs could work too)
½ Cup coconut aminos or organic tamari (possibly slightly more)
~ 1 tsp garlic powder
~ 1 tsp paprika
~ 1 tsp sea salt
~ ½ tsp oregano
~ ¼ tsp turmeric
~ ½ tsp onion powder
~ ¼ tsp celery seed
~ 1 tsp dill weed
(all of these are approximate and you can add more if you need to)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- I use a 9×13 glass baking pan – no need to line it unless you want to (I don’t)
- Separate the skin from the chicken but do not remove it – the skin needs to stay attached.
- Use a brush to apply the coconut aminos or tamari on the chicken, under the skin.
- Mix all the dry seasonings together and sprinkle under the skin directly on the chicken (like a spice rub). Keep in mind you will be using more on the skin as well, so don’t use all of it right away. This is where you can use a little more of the spices if you like more flavor once you have made the recipe once.
- Put all the leq quarters in the pan skin side up and brush the skin with the coconut aminos or tamari.
- Sprinkle the skin with the same dry seasoning mix (hopefully you have enough left over J)
- Bake in oven for an hour. (If using thighs instead of leg quarters, bake for 45 – 50 min)
- Increase oven temp to 400 after that and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
(To be safe, chicken is done when internal temp reaches 165)
- Let stand for a few minutes before serving.